There are a few pieces of clothing that every hiker should have, and a good pair of hiking shorts is one of them. When summer, when the weather is hot, or even in spring, when you're going to be working hard, the ventilation and reduced bulk that shorts provide is a welcome relief from pants. But not all men's hiking shorts are made equal. There are, in fact, a few features that you should be on the lookout for when you go to buy that new pair of hiking shorts.
Men's Hiking ShortsWhat to look for when you are looking for men's hiking shorts.
- Nylon - There are plenty of materials that you will find hiking shorts in, but nylon is one of the most popular, and also one of the best. It stands up to wear well, and wont rip easily. It also breathes well, and most important of all, dries extremely quickly. So if you find yourself in a bit of a shower, or end up in a river or lake, you wont have to worry about being wet for long.
- Pockets - Hikers generally like to carry a few things, and it pays to have quick and easy access to a few of the more important things, which is where pockets come in. A few hand pockets are essential, and a few cargo pockets can also work extremely well.
Best Men's Hiking ShortsA few of the better choices you have when it comes to a new pair of hiking shorts.
- REI Adventure Shorts - First, a solid pair of hiking shorts from REI. They're nylon, so they will dry well, and also have a UPF rating of 50+, so you wont have to worry about getting too much sun. They also provide you with a total of three zippered pockets, to keep a few essentials secure, and a few more pockets for your hands and anything else you might want to carry.
- Arc'teryx Rampart Long Short - The Rampart shorts are, as the name implies, a little longer than your average pair of hiking shorts, which may be a positive or negative, depending on your preferences. The extra length does give you some extra material to work with if you are especially active, which will definitely be a bonus for some people. The extra length also leaves room for a couple cargo pockets, in addition to a few more hand pockets. They're also nylon, so you don't have to worry about getting them wet.
- Prana Mojo Shorts - The Mojo hiking shorts from Prana are something a little different. They're polyester, rather than nylon, which may be a preference for some people. Fortunately, polyester dries quickly, just like nylon. These particular hiking shorts come with a couple of pockets in the usual place, but not much beyond that. If you prefer polyester to nylon, these are an ideal choice.