Gaiters are a great piece of gear to have just about year round. When you go hiking or backpacking in the summer, for instance, gaiters can help keep things like rocks and dust, and maybe even the occasional shower of rain if you’re unlucky out of your shoes. And in the winter, rain and snow and anything else that might find its way down in to your boots will be stopped by a good pair of women’s or men’s gaiters, though gaiters are generally fairly unisex.
Men’s GaitersFeatures to look at when buying men's gaiters.
- Height – The one big difference between women’s and men’s gaiters is the height. Because men are taller on average, their gaiters generally have to be taller as well. Of course you don’t necessarily have to get the gaiters that go all the way up the lower leg, there are some excellent ankle gaiters choices as well.
- Material – There are a wide variety of materials to choose from when buying gaiters. Gore Tex is a great choice if you want to stay dry, but others, like the more standard nylon, will be water resistant, and will also be more breathable. So decide on what you need your gaiters to do, and then find a material to match those needs.
Best Men’s GaitersSome of the better pairs of men's gaiters, in a few different categories.
- Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters - First up, a great pair of ankle gaiters that are ideally suited to spring, summer and fall travel in the outdoors. They're nylon, which is great for breathability, but are also coated with a durable water repellent finish, so that they will also keep out mild amounts of rain or even snow. If you want something a little smaller and lightweight that wont suffocate your feet, these are them.
- Rab Hispar Gaiters - If you're looking for a full length gaiter that is waterproof, but also plenty breathable, the Hispar gaiters are a great choice. The upper section is 3 layer eVent, which is both waterproof and very breathable, and is a great choice for a waterproof fabric. The bottom section is 500D cordura nylon, which will stand up to plenty of abuse. This is a great pair of gaiters for those rainy days when you're going to be staying active.
- Outdoor Research Crocodiles Gaiters - If you want a real mountaineering gaiter, the Crocodiles are a very popular choice. They've been around since at least 1999, when they won the Backpacker magazine Editor's Choice Gold award. The upper portion is made with heavy duty 3 layer Gore Tex, for good, waterproof protection. The bottom boot portion is 1000D cordura nylon, which is burly enough to stand up to just about anything. This is a seriously durable pair of gaiters that can be used for snow, rain and any other weather conditions you might care to take them in to.