A good pair of socks is essential for backpackers, hikers and campers because you are only ever as happy on the trail as your feet are. If you are suffering from blisters, hot spots or a wide variety of other possible foot ailments, you're not going to be having any fun, and having fun is the whole point of getting outside and hiking. So a good pair of hiking shoes is important, as is a good pair of hiking socks. Hiking socks for womenare also a bit different than hiking socks for men.
Hiking Socks - WomenFeatures to look for when you are reviewing hiking socks.
- Material - There are a couple of different fabrics that you can get hiking socks in, but most people will agree that wool is best. Even for warm temperatures, there are many excellent thin wool socks available. Wool wicks moisture away well, breathes well and is a natural antimicrobial, so your socks wont smell awful after a long day on the trail. The perfect material for hiking in.
- Form Fitting - Socks that aren't fitted for your feet are more likely to wrinkle up in crucial areas, which can cause blisters and general discomfort. Fitted socks will tend to be a bit more expensive, but generally that extra cost is worth it in the foot problems that you wont have to deal with.
Best Hiking Socks - WomenA few of the very best hiking socks for women.
- REI Merino Wool Mini Crew Light Hiking Socks - A good, basic wool sock from REI. Nylon and Lycra help to hold shape in the heel and toe areas, and the wool works extremely well to help regulate foot temperatures. Really, what separates this wool sock from the many others out there and on this list is the length. This particular hiking sock extends only to the top of the ankle, so the ideal length for shoes, but maybe not for boots with full ankle support.
- Icebreaker Hike Lite Crew Sock - Icebreaker is well known for making excellent wool clothing. First, you get Merino wool, which is the good stuff, and a fitted design so you'll never have to worry about wrinkles in the sock material giving you blisters. You also get some extra cushion in high impact areas, like the bottom of your heels. And these Icebreaker hiking socks extend up to the lower calf, which is ample length for just about any hiking shoe or boot.
- Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light Crew Socks - When it comes to wool socks, Smartwool makes some excellent products, and the PhD line is the best. You get Smartwool's 4-way fit design, plenty of strategically placed mesh to make sure your feet are well ventilated, and higher density wool in high impact areas. You wont do much better than PhD socks.