Hiking pants are a nice thing to have in the spring, fall and winter, but in the summer, when the temperature is high and the chances of bad weather are so slim, a good pair of hiking shorts is very likely all you need. Hiking shorts for men and women are ideal in that they ventilate your legs better than any pair of pants could. And while you may have to worry about a bit of a sunburn on your exposed legs, you definitely wont have to worry about overheating.
Hiking Shorts for MenWhat to look for when you're in the market for a new pair of hiking shorts.
- Material – When it comes to hiking shorts you have a few different choices of material, but the best, and one of the most common is definitely nylon. Nylon has a couple things going for it, the most immediate being that dries extremely quickly, which is never a bad thing to have in outdoor clothing. It’s also tear resistant, another excellent feature for outdoor clothing.
- Pockets – While just about every self respecting pair of hiking shorts will come with pockets, it really helps to have a few beyond the basic two for your hands. Zippered pockets, for instance, are great for keeping a few essentials safely tucked away, and cargo pockets are quite useful when you need that extra space.
Best Hiking Shorts for MenSome of the better hiking shorts for men on the market right now.
- Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts - First, a great all around pair of hiking shorts from Columbia. They're 100% nylon, so you can depend on them to dry quickly and feel good against the skin. They also have a UPF 30 rating, so that your upper legs are well protected from the sun, and come with a total of 6 pockets, 2 for your hands, 2 in back and 2 cargo pockets. They even come with belt. The perfect hiking shorts for men.
- REI Adventure Shorts - Another pair of excellent hiking shorts from REI. They're also nylon, so they dry quickly, and have a UPF 50 rating, so that your thighs don't burn. One feature that is definitely nice about these is two zippered pockets, in addition to the regular hand pockets, so that you can be sure you wont lose important stuff while scrambling around on the hiking trail.
- ExOfficio Ziwa Bugsaway Convertible Pants - No discussion of hiking shorts would be complete without at least mentioning convertible hiking pants. Some people prefer not the wear them, but you cant deny that they are a versatile piece of hiking gear. You can zip the bottom half of the leg off when things get hot, and then put the leg back on when the sun starts going down. These are also nylon, with a UPF rating of 30, and come coated with a bug repellent product, making them a great piece of gear to have along in bug infested territories.