When the sun is out and the temperature is high, you need to protect yourself from the sun, and a big part of that strategy should revolve around a hiking hat. Hiking hats for men and women are a good investment, because the last thing you want is to be sunburned at the start of a long hike. You may want some sunscreen and a pair of hiking sunglasses to go along with your hat, of course, but the hat is important, because sun screen only does so much.
Hiking Hats for MenFeatures to try and find on your next hiking hat.
- Wide Brim – One of the defining characteristics of the hiking hat is the wide brim that encircles the entire hat. This brim is not just for show, it serves a valuable purpose, which is to keep the sun off of your face and neck. It also helps to keep you dry if you get a few showers.
- Material – Another important choice that you have to make when picking out a hiking hat is the material. Nylon is an obvious choice, as it does well as sun protection, and dries well from exposure to either rain or sweat. Gore Tex is another good choice if you’re more interested in protection from the rain.
Best Hiking Hats for MenA few of the better hiking hats for men that there are to choose from.
- Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat - First up, a great sun hat from Outdoor Research. It has a UPF 50+ rating, so that you can be sure your head wont be exposed to sunburn, while the wide brim assures that your neck and face are equally safe. It also comes with a chin strap that cinches down for when the winds pick up and you don't want your hat going flying. And just in case you drop it in the water, the foam brim floats, and the nylon material dries quickly.
- Tilley LTM6 Airflo - Tilley is a well known brand name when it comes to hiking hats, and they definitely do not disappoint. The LTM6 has a foam insert, to make sure that it floats if it ends up in the water, and a storage pocket inside for a few essentials like keys or wallet. It also has a ring of ventilation around the top, to ensure that you don't overheat. It's also nylon, so if you do end up sweating in it, it will dry quickly. If you're looking for a sun hat with all the features, this is it.
- Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero - Hiking hats aren't just for the sun, there are many designed to protect you from the rain too, which is exactly what this Gore Tex hat from Outdoor Research is for. The strap makes sure that it stays on your head, and it has a soft lining inside, to wick away any sweat. A great hiking hat for wet conditions. Just know that the Gore Tex outer is not the best choice for when the sun is out and beating down.