A good rain jacket needs to be waterproof, and while most people know the more popular waterproof fabrics, like Gore Tex, there are some other excellent, if less well known waterproof options out there to choose from. One of them if eVent. An eVent rain jacket does an excellent job of keeping you dry. And whereas something like Gore Tex breathes better when you’re exerting yourself eVent is breathable even when you’re not that active. It also helps that it’s generally less expensive than Gore Tex.
eVent Rain JacketWhat to look for when reviewing eVent rain jackets.
- Ventilation – Any good rain jacket needs to have some sort of ventilation. eVent is a great fabric because it’s quite breathable just one its own. But something like pit zips, which are zippered openings under each armpit, do an excellent job of keeping you well ventilated, especially when you’re exerting yourself.
- Seams and Zippers – The material that your jacket is made out of is important for staying dry, but things like seams and zippers are channels through even the most waterproof material, and if they’re not properly sealed they will leak. So pay attention to just how waterproof seams and zippers are if you want to stay dry.
Best eVent Rain JacketFind a few of the very best eVent rain jackets for men and women.
Men's eVent Rain Jacket
- REI Kimtah Rain Jacket - The Kimtah is a good jacket for around town and out on the trail too. It uses 3 layer eVent, and has a fairly standard design with a couple of zippered pockets for your hands, a good hood and fully taped seams for complete waterproofing. Surprisingly it doesn't have pit zips, which is a fairly standard feature on rain jackets. eVent is definitely more breathable than something like Gore Tex, however, and you will likely not miss the pit zips.
- Rab Momentum Jacket - If you're looking for something a little more technical for more aggressive outdoor pursuits, the Momentum makes an excellent technical hard shell. It uses 3 layer eVent, and has two zippered chest pockets, rather than hand pockets. There's no pit zips on this jacket, just like the Kimtah above, and that is due to eVent's impressive breathability. The hood is also better suited to technical adventures, with an adjustable wire built in, and a good drawcord for when things get windy.
Women's eVent Rain Jacket
- REI Kimtah Rain Jacket - The Kimtah is a great jacket for the trail and around town too. It's made with 3 layer eVent, and has all the standard rain jacket features like zippered hand pockets, a hood and fully taped seams so that nothing leaks. The one thing it doesn't have is underarm zippers, to give you some extra ventilation. The reason being, eVent is breathable enough that you don't really need them. So a great jacket for a wide variety of uses.
- Stoic eVent Stash Shell - The Stash Shell is a technical hard shell ideal for more serious outdoor pursuits. It uses 3 layer eVent, and has one zippered chest pocket for a few essentials, plus two zippered hand pockets for keeping those digits warm. Like the Kimtah above, the only thing really missing is underarm zippers, for added ventilation. eVent being a very breathable fabric, however, you're not likely to need them, even on a technical hard shell.