If you would prefer to get nice and cozy with a special someone while out camping or backpacking, then a double wide sleeping bag is a good way to do it. You should know, however, that unlike a two person tent, a 2 person sleeping bag is not a good way to save on weight. If your thought is to save weight, you’re really better off with two lightweight, 1 person sleeping bags. But if you just want to get cozy, a double wide sleeping bag is perfect.
Double Wide Sleeping BagWhat to look for when you want a double wide sleeping bag.
- Divider – Many double sleeping bags come with a divider down the middle, so that while the sleeping bag is one large unit, each person’s sleeping space is separated. It’s an option to at least be aware of when you’re shopping for a sleeping bag that you can share.
- Insulation – Regardless of the size of your sleeping bag, you still need to pick an insulating material. Down is definitely the higher quality choice, but synthetic insulation has a couple things going for it, including the generally lower price and the fact that it performs much better than down when wet.
Best Double Wide Sleeping BagSome of the best choices for a double wide sleeping bag.
- The North Face Twin Peaks - This is one of the few double sleeping bags out there with a taper, which does a few things. First, it helps to eliminate dead space within the sleeping bag, and second it cuts down on the weight. But since the synthetic insulation adds a bit of weight, as compared to down, and the whole thing comes out with a weight of 5 pounds 13 ounces, which is 2.64 kilograms. It has a minimum temperature rating of 20 degrees, so good for colder weather, and being synthetic insulation, the price stays down.
- Big Agnes King Solomon - One of the few down double sleeping bags you will see, though it's only filled with 600 fill down, which is not especially high quality. But this does help keep the price down, and the weight too, at 5 pounds pounds 3 ounces, or 2.35 kilograms. It also has a solid minimum temperature of 15 degrees, so both warmer and lighter than the Twin Peaks from North Face above. It also has a hood for both sleepers, which is a nice touch, and zippers on either side.
- Big Agnes Dream Island - Another sleeping bag with a minimum temperature of 15 degrees, though this one is filled with synthetic insulation, and while this makes it cheaper, it also makes it quite a bit heavier, at 9 pounds 5 ounces, which is 4.22 kilograms. That's almost three times the weight of the King Solomon above, another double wide sleeping bag with a 15 degree minimum temperature. It does also come with a hood, which is nice when it's cold out. So definitely a car camping sleeping bag, whereas the King Solomon above would be a better sleeping bag to carry.