A soft shell jacket is a very useful piece of gear to have handy, but they can also be extremely expensive pieces of gear to own. So cheap soft shell jackets are a great idea. But finding a soft shell jacket that is both cheap and of a good enough quality that you wont have to buy another one next year is not easy. But it’s certainly not impossible, either. A sale is an easy way to go about it, but even then, it can help to know what to look for when buying a cheap soft shell jacket.
Cheap Soft Shell JacketsWhat to consider when looking for cheap soft shell jackets.
- Hood – Hoods are great things to have for staying warm, but they’re by no means necessary, especially since you wont likely be using a soft shell jacket hood to stay dry in the rain. So if you can get a hat to keep your head warm you can forgo paying the extra money for a soft shell jacket with a hood.
- Water Resistant – Unlike a hood, water resistance is actually a fairly useful thing to have on a soft shell jacket, because the fall, winter and spring months that most people will be using a soft shell jacket in are typically the months that see the most rain. But if you don’t mind getting a little damp, and are wanting a cheap soft shell jacket, a jacket without any water resistance will lower the price.
Best Cheap Soft Shell JacketsSome of the best cheap soft shell jackets for men and women.
Men's Cheap Soft Shell Jackets
- Marmot Tempo Softshell Jacket - This is a solid, if basic soft shell jacket with a fantastic price. It's water resistant, so you don't have to worry too much about getting wet, and comes with a standard combination of two zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket. There's no hood, but a hat solves that problem easily enough.
- The North Face Apex Bionic Jacket - The Apex Bionic is another soft jacket with a design very similar to the Tempo above. It has a water resistant exterior, which also helps to keep the wind out, and two zippered hand pockets in addition to one zippered chest pocket for a few essentials. One thing that helps this jacket to stand out against the cheaper Tempo above is the ability to adjust the cuffs and the hem, to keep you as warm as possible inside.
Women's Cheap Soft Shell Jackets
- Marmot Tempo Softshell Jacket - If you want just a basic soft shell jacket with a few essential features, the Tempo is a great choice. It has a fairly standard combination of two zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket. It's also water resistant on the outside, which will help to keep the wind chill out too. A cheap soft shell jacket that's not missing anything essential.
- The North Face Apex Bionic Jacket - The Apex is another fairly basic soft shell jacket that has a design very similar to the Tempo above, with two zippered hand pockets, on zippered chest pocket and a water repellent exterior, to keep you reasonably dry. It does have a few things that the Tempo doesn't, like adjustable cuffs and hem, but it's also slightly more expensive. More features means a higher price tag.