There are a few ways to get a good nights sleep when you are in the outdoors, but a camping hammock is one that many people overlook. But hammocks keep you off the ground, integrate well with a tarp and offer you a cozy cocoon to curl up in.
Camping HammockHere are a few things to watch for when buying a camping hammock.
- Maximum Weight - Depending on the material used, the stitching and the suspension system, the maximum weight capacity of camping hammocks will vary quite a bit. If you are a bigger person, you probably want to pay attention to the maximum weight, but for most people it will not be an issue.
- Trees - This should go without saying, but camping hammocks are only really practical for camping in areas where there is a good amount of trees. It's not impossible to rig something up if there are no trees available, but it might not be worth all the extra work that would require.
Best Camping HammockSome of the better camping hammocks around.
- Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight - If you want a ready-to-go camping hammock, the Explorer from Hennessy is a good option. You get a hammock, a rainfly and a suspension system so that you can start hammock camping right away. The whole system weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces, or 1.1 kilograms, and is suitable for up to 250 pounds of weight. One stand out feature about the Explorer worth mentioning is that you are able to enter the hammock from the bottom, and then there are velco straps that close behind you, so no worries about tipping yourself out.
- Eagles Nest Outfitters SingleNest - The SingleNest is a hammock, and does not include a hanging system or a rainfly, so if you already have those items or don't need them, this is a great option. What stands out about the SingleNest is that it accepts up to 400 pounds, so if you need the extra weight capacity, this is a good option. That extra weight capacity comes at a price, however, which is weight. The hammock weighs 18 ounces, or 510 grams, which will only increase when you start adding in tarps and riggings.
- Grand Trunk Ultra-Light - The Ultra-Light from Grand Trunk is a definite lightweight option for hammock camping. At .75 pounds, or 340 grams, it's the lightest option on this list. You do only get a hammock, and not a tarp or a rigging system, however, so just beware of that when comparing it to other hammocks. The most impressive thing about this hammock, however, is the price. Prices will vary, depending on the retailer, but you can expect to pay as little as $20 for this hammock, which is a fantastic price.