Drinking coffee, or any hot beverage while out camping can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. A big, well insulated coffee mug isn’t really an option when you’re camping, and you have to make do with a better, more purpose built camping coffee mug. Still, there are some excellent options when it comes to camping coffee mugs that wont leave you with burnt fingers or cold coffee. And they will work fine for any other beverage as well.
Camping Coffee MugWhat to look for from a camping coffee mug.
- Double Walled – One feature to definitely consider when buying a camping coffee mug is a double walled cup. The double walled construction insulates your fingers from the hot coffee, and the hot coffee from the cold air. That way, your coffee stays hot and you don’t burn your fingers on your coffee mug.
- Handle – Even with a double walled construction the outside of your camping coffee mug might be too hot to hold, and so a handle is a necessary feature. Just be sure to get a handle that folds down in some way, otherwise your camping coffee mug will be even more awkward to pack without wasting a lot of space.
Best Camping Coffee MugSome of the best choices when you're in the market for a camping coffee mug.
- Snow Peak Titanium Double Wall Cup - It's not cheap, but if you want the best for sipping coffee in the outdoors, this is it. It's titanium, with a double walled design, which helps to insulate the coffee while keeping too much heat from reaching your fingers. It also has a handle that will collapse down when you're not using it, for the easiest possible storage. The whole thing weighs just 4.2 ounces, or 119 grams, and will carry .47 liters of liquid.
- Sea to Summit X-Mug Collapsible Mug - This is a collapsing mug made from silicon. It actually collapses down accordion style in to a flat disk, which makes it nice and easy to store in your backpack. It's not double walled, of course, and there's also no handle, so you will want to let your coffee cool a bit, probably, before handling the mug. It holds .47 liters, however, and weighs just 2.7 ounces, or 76 grams, which is a great weight.
- Esbit Aluminum Mug - Another solid mug, this one made from aluminum. The main benefit of aluminum is that it's lightweight, and at just 2.8 ounces, or 79 grams this is another extremely lightweight camping coffee mug to take in to the outdoors. It has a capacity of .35 liters, so not the biggest mug, and while it does have a handle, it's not the kind that folds down.