When it comes to rain jackets to take hiking you have a few different options available to you. A straight waterproof jacket is definitely a good choice. In fact the best rain jacket for hiking is likely a Gore Tex jacket, or a similar material, like eVent. But there are certainly other options available to you. If you don’t expect too much rain, for instance, there are some very water repellent soft shell jackets that make an attractive choice as an all around good jacket to take hiking.
Best Rain Jacket for HikingWhat to look for when you're looking for a rain jacket for hiking.
- Venting – Whenever you have a waterproof jacket you need to make sure that there is some sort of ventilation available, so that you don’t get sweaty, and wet from the inside out. Rain jackets often do a great job of keeping water out, and also keeping water in.
- Material – There are a lot of different materials that you will find rain jackets coming in, some more waterproof than others. If you are fine with a water resistant jacket there’s nothing wrong with getting that, but know the limitations of the fabric you are buying before you get on to the hiking trail and find out the hard way.
Best Rain Jacket for Hiking ReviewsSome of the very best rain jackets to take hiking, for both men and women.
- Arc'teryx Theta AR Jacket - First up, a jacket from Arc'teryx, a company that has a well deserved reputation of making some quality rain jackets. This particular one uses the good Gore Tex, called 3L Pro, which will keep you dry all day long. It also includes the standard features, like a helmet compatible hood and pit zips under each arm. But more exotic details, like a few inches of extra length, an inner fabric that works well with layers and a minimal amount of seams show the detail that Arc'teryx puts in to their work. This is an expensive rain jacket for hiking, but definitely one of the best. And there's a women's version too.
- Marmot Minimalist - If you're not looking for something with all the features, the Marmot Minimalist is a good compromise. It uses Paclite Gore Tex, which is the most breathable fabric that Gore Tex makes. It also has pit zips, two hand pockets and a zippered chest pocket, but beyond that it doesn't have much, which is the point, given that the jacket is called Minimalist. There's also a women's version.
- Marmot Super Mica - For hikers that carry a lot of backpacks, the Super Mica might be just right. It uses Marmot's proprietary waterproof / breathable fabric, called MemBrain, which is thin and lightweight, which means the Super Mica will fold up nicely for stuffing in to a backpack. It also has raised hand pockets, which are fully accessible when you're wearing a backpack hip belt. And finally, the shoulders and waist are both reinforced, so backpack straps don't do any damage to the waterproof exterior of the jacket. One of the best rain jackets for hiking designed with a backpack in mind.