Gaiters are a great piece of gear to take hiking. They’re by no means necessary, not like a good jacket or a pair of shoes, but still, the best hiking gaiters can be the kind of thing that you buy and then can never understand how you got by without. Especially for trails where a lot of dust and debris get kicked up, or alternatively on hikes where you tend to get fairly wet, and want to keep all that wet from finding its way down your boots, a good pair of hiking gaiters is essential.
Best Hiking GaitersWhat to look for when you want the best hiking gaiters.
- Waterproof – If what your worried about is water finding its way down in to your boots then you definitely want a good pair of waterproof hiking gaiters. But if water is only a minor concern then water resistant gaiters will likely get the job done, and will breath better too.
- Ankle or Calf – You have a couple of choices when it comes to the length of your gaiters. The calf length gaiters are good for when things get wet, but if all you’re worried about is debris, a pair of ankle gaiters is likely enough, and will even keep out some water, if you ever need them for that too.
Hiking Gaiter ReviewsReviews of a few of the very best hiking gaiters to keep your feet happy.
- Rab Hispar Gaiters - The Hispar gaiters are an ideal full length gaiter for general hiking. They're made with 3-layer eVent, a fabric similar to Gore Tex but with a reputation of being more breathable, and thus an excellent option for hiking gaiters. The bottom portion is 600D ballistic polyester, which is tough enough to stand up to abuse, but not the heavy duty 1000D nylon that you find on mountaineering gaiters. So an excellent pair of general hiking gaiters.
- Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters - The Crocodile gaiters are more of a true mountaineering gaiter. They use heavy 3 layer Gore Tex for the top portion, and 1000D cordura nylon for the bottom section. What helps separate these out from the competition is that they've been around since at least 1999, which is when they won a Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Gold award. So a very solid pair of gaiters with a long history of satisfying customers.
- Rab Latok Mid Gaiter - If you would prefer ankle length gaiters to full length calf gaiters, then the Latok Mids are a great choice. They're very similar to the Hispar gaiters above, which are also made by Rab. They use the same 3 layer eVent on the top portion to keep your feet dry, and 500D cordura nylon on the bottom to withstand the use and abuse that the boot portion of gaiters often endures. So very well built and durable pair of ankle length hiking gaiters.