Camping tents come in all shapes and sizes, literally, and so the best camping tents have a lot to do with what exactly you need from a camping tent. The best camping tent for one person may not be the best camping tent for another person. Variables like capacity, seasonal abilities, weight and of course price will all determine what kind of tent is best for you. Fortunately, there are hundreds of tents out there to choose from, so one of them will fit your needs.
Best Camping TentsWhat to look for when you want the very best camping tents.
- Weight – If you’re just car camping then you don’t have to worry about the weight of your tent, but if you’re going to be carrying your camping tent to your camp site, you would be crazy not to try and get the lightest camping tent possible. That way, you wont feel exhausted when you make to camp.
- Capacity – Capacity is another important variable when it comes to determining what the best camping tent for you is. A 2 person tent, for example, is versatile, especially if you have a friend or significant other that likes to join you. But a 1 person tent is good too, especially if you don’t mind camping solo.
Best Camping Tents ReviewsA select few of the very best camping tents, in a few different sizes.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 - If you want a good, solid free standing tent then this is it. With 28 square feet of floor space it's just big enough for two inside, and the weight of just 2 pounds 2 ounces, or 960 grams is part of the reason it won the 2010 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award. It's definitely one of the lightest free standing tents you're likely to find, and a great choice for backpackers or just campers. It also comes in a 1 person, 3 person and 4 person size, along with an ultralight 2 person version.
- NEMO Equipment Meta 2p - The Meta is a good take on something a little different, a tent where you can use trekking poles instead of tent poles. It's a nice and roomy 2 person tent, with 36 square feet of floor space, plus a very roomy 22 square feet in the vestibule. It's a single wall design, but comes with plenty of ventilation, and at 2.9 pounds, or 1.31 kilograms it's certainly a lightweight tent option.
- Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 - The Laser Photon is an extremely lightweight 1 person tent that has enough room inside for 2, if you don't mind a bit of squeeze. It uses some very superior materials to achieve a minimum weight of just 1 pound 7 ounces, or 660 grams, which raises the price but will leave you with a small and lightweight package when it comes time to pack up in the morning. So an excellent choice if you want a truly lightweight option.