When most people go looking for a shelter for camping they default to a tent. But there are other options available, one of the better ones being a hammock. The best camping hammock will be able to keep you comfortable in a wide variety of conditions, just like a tent would. The only caveat that you have to remember with a hammock is that you need somewhere to actually hang the hammock, or else you will be sleeping on the ground.
Best Camping HammockWhat to look for when shopping for the very best camping hammock.
- Bug Proof – If you’re camping where bugs aren’t a problem then there’s no need to bother with a bug net. But if you’re not lucky enough to be sleeping bug free, you need a bug proof hammock. Ideally, you want one that has a bug net built in, so that you can be sure there are no places for bugs to get in.
- Extras – Hammocks often come just with the hammock, but there are a few other things you will need to get a hammock working properly. A hanging system, for one, to attach your hammock to trees. You are also likely to want a tarp to drape over you, unless you can be sure it will be dry all night long, and you wont get wet.
Best Camping Hammock ReviewsReviews of a few of the very best camping hammocks.
- Hammock Bliss No-See-Um More - This hammock includes just about everything you need to be comfortable in the outdoors, minus a tarp for hanging over the hammock to keep the rain off. So you get a hammock, plus 100 feet of line for hanging. The hammock itself also has a built in no-see-um net, as the name suggests, so you wont be bothered by bugs. It also has a slightly larger maximum weight of 350 pounds, so a good choice for those who need the extra capacity. It weighs 28 ounces, or 793 grams.
- Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter UL Hammock - The Skeeter Beeter is another hammock that comes with just about everything you need, minus a tarp for the top of the hammock, to keep any rain or showers at night off. But what it does have is a suspension system, so that you can hang the hammock right away. The hammock also has a no-see-um net built in to keep mosquitoes off, as the name suggests. It will only hold 250 pounds, which is less than the Hammock Bliss option above, but it also weighs less, at just 20 ounces, which is 567 grams.
- Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Asym - This hammock from Hennessy is everything you need to go camping with a hammock, including the crucial tarp that you'll need when the rain starts falling. Besides the tarp you get a hammock with a built in no-see-um net to keep the bugs away, as well as a suspension system so that you can actually do the hanging part. It has a maximum weight of 250 pounds, and a weight of 2 pound 7 ounces, which is 1.1 kilograms.