There are several alternatives to the tent, and a good hammock is one of the better ones. The best backpacking hammock will do everything that a backpacking tent might do, and will also provide you with the comfort that comes with sleeping in a hammock, which is difficult to compete with. And of course the right hammock will weigh less than the average tent, meaning you get to carry around less gear, which is never a bad thing.
Best Backpacking HammockWhat to look for when you want the best backpacking hammock possible.
- Package – If you don’t already have some hammock gear, then what you likely want is a package. You need the hammock, of course, but you also need the hanging system to attach the hammock to a couple of trees, as well as a tarp to go over top of the hammock and keep you out of the rain.
- Bug Netting – Another thing that you might want to look for when getting a backpacking hammock is a hammock with built in bug netting. You cant count on being lucky enough to experience no bugs, and if you want to get any kind of restful sleep at night when the bugs are out, you need a backpacking hammock with some bug netting built in.
Best Backpacking Hammock ReviewsReviews of a few of the best backpacking hammocks.
- Eagle's Nest Outfitters SingleNest Hammock - A great example of a hammock for taking backpacking. It will hold up to 400 pounds, which is quite a bit more than most other hammocks out there, and comes with carbiner clips on either end for hanging, though it does not come with the actual ropes needed for hanging, or a tarp for protecting you from the rain. So a great choice if you already have other gear to compliment just the hammock, or else want to customize the other parts necessary. It weighs 18 ounces, or 510 grams.
- Eagle's Nest Outfitters Dry Fly Rain Tarp - The Dry Fly is exactly what you need for a hammock like the one above, which doesn't come with a tarp. It's ideally shaped to shed water away from you in your hammock without adding any unnecessary weight. It even comes with a compression stuff sack for in the morning when you're packing everything up. It weighs 1 pound 6 ounces, or 623 grams.
- Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight Asym Classic Hammock - The Ultralight Asym is the full package. It includes the hammock with integrated bug net, a hanging system and even a tarp for keeping the rain off. It really is everything you need to be fully protected from nature at night while you sleep. It also has a fairly unique entry system, where you enter and exit via a split down the center of the hammock that is velcroed shut. It will hold a maximum of 250 pounds, and is definitely more expensive than the other options above, but you have to remember that you're getting everything in one neat package. The whole thing weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces, or 1.1 kilograms.