There are a few different ways to get a good sleep at night while backpacking, and a hammock is one way that not nearly enough people consider when they go backpacking. A backpacking hammock has a couple of things going for it that make it a good option for backpackers. One is that hammocks keep you up off the ground, so you never have to worry about puddles and other forms of groundwater. They're also rather comfortable, and will help you get a great night of sleep.
Backpacking HammockFeatures to look for when shopping for backpacking hammocks.
- Trees - It must be said that if you are going backpacking in a place with little or no trees, a backpacking hammock is probably not the smartest piece of gear to take with you. It's not impossible to rig up a hammock in such places, but you will have a lot easier time of it in a well forested area.
- Maximum Weight - If you're somewhere around the average weight then you don't have much to worry about, but if you are a big man or woman, you might want to pay attention to the maximum weight of the hammocks you are reviewing. The last thing you want is to get woken up in the middle of the night with a short fall to the ground.
Best Backpacking HammockThe very best hammocks for backpacking.
- Eagles Nest Outfitters SingleNest Hammock - The SingleNest is a great backpacking hammock for the larger among us. It holds a full 400 pounds of weight, which is significantly more than most other backpacking hammocks. Keep in mind that this is just a hammock, and doesn't include a rainfly or hanging system, which you will need to get separately. It weighs 18 ounces, or 510 grams.
- Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight - The Explorer Ultralight is a great hammock for beginners, because it includes a hammock, hanging system and rainfly, all in one. The hammock even as a built in no-see-um netting, to keep the bugs at bay. You can also enter the Explorer Ultralight from the bottom, which then closes behind you, making entry and exit that much easier. It's good for those 250 pounds and below, and the whole system weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces, or 1.1 kilograms. A great backpacking hammock for anyone new to hammocks.
- Grand Trunk Ultra-light Travel Hammock - The Travel Hammock from Grand Trunk is an ideal hammock for backpacking. It weighs a mere 12 ounces, or 340 grams, and that is for just the hammock, and no hanging system or rainfly. It also holds up to 250 pounds. The impressive thing about this backpacking hammock, however, is the price, which is about $20 to $30, depending on the retailer and the options. A great deal for a hammock.