Tents come in a wide variety of sizes, but 8 is definitely on the high end of things. You should know that after about the 4 person capacity point, tents become quite a bit heavier, and unless you’re car camping or looking for a tent for base camp, an 8 person tent is better split up in to a couple 4 person tents, or some other combination. But if you have your heart set on an 8 person tent, there are certainly some good options out there that will keep you comfortable and dry.
8 Person TentWhat to look for when you're looking for an 8 person tent.
- Floor Space – The floor space between two different 1 man tents isn’t likely to be all that much, but when you multiply by 8 those differences can get rather large. Which is why it is a good idea to look at the floor space available inside various 8 person tents, so that you get an idea of the actual space available.
- Doors and Partitions – With 8 people sleeping inside one tent, you are definitely going to need more than one door, or else people are going to be crawling all over each other to reach that one door. Similarly, many larger tents come with a zipper partition to divide the tent in half, to cut down on noise and other disturbances at night.
Best 8 Person TentSome of the very best 8 person tents.
- Big Agnes Flying Diamond - The Flying Diamond is a good four season option for those that don't want to spend a whole lot. It comes with a very respectable 112 square feet of floor space. It also comes with the option to separate the entire tent in to a larger and smaller section with a zippered partition wall, which could be useful as separate sleeping space or as a room for gear storage. Each of the sections, of course, has a separate door. The whole thing weighs 22 pounds 6 ounces, or 10.14 kilograms.
- The North Face Dome - The Dome is the kind of 8 person tent that would be used for base camp on a windy mountain slope. It's a dome shape, obviously, and has an impressive ten poles, which will lend it a considerable amount of strength. The tent can actually be pitched without the floor, and three massive doors can be lowered to turn the whole thing in to a cook tent or meeting area. But it will also shelter you at night too, and with 128 square feet of floor space there's plenty of room for 8. But at 57 pounds 11 ounces, or 26.16 kilograms it's not the kind of tent that you're going to be carrying around for any great distances.
- REI Kingdom - The kingdom is the cheapest 8 person tent on the list, and a great choice if you just want something to do a little three season camping with. At 19 pounds 14 ounces, which is 9.02 kilograms it's the lightest 8 person tent on the list, but with just 104 square feet of floor space it's also the smallest. But rectangular shape lends itself well to an efficient use of space, and the two doors, plus a zippered partition will help make sleeping in close quarters a little more bearable. So a solid 8 person tent to do a little camping with.