For larger groups, like 8, you have the option of using several smaller tents or one larger tent. Several smaller tents can end up being a lighter option, because bigger tents tend to require more and better poles, to support all that extra tent. But if what you need is something like an 8 man tent, then there are certainly plenty of options out there for you. Just be sure that you get the options that you need to keep everyone comfortable, and that you don’t end up getting stuck carrying the tent.
8 Man TentThings to watch for when shopping for a new 8 man tent.
- Doors – When you get 8 people inside a tent, midnight bathroom breaks and different wake up and bed times are an inevitability. Rather than having people crawling over each other to get to the one door, it makes things a lot easier if there are two doors. This adds to the weight of the tent, of course, but this is one case where convenience trumps weight considerations.
- Floor Space – Make sure to compare floor space for several different tents. Manufacturers will calculate how much space one person needs a little differently, and this can become amplified when multiplying by 8. Also account for gear space, if you will be bringing much gear inside the tent.
Best 8 Man TentA few of the very best 8 man tents that you can choose from.
- REI Kingdom - First, the cheapest tent on the list, this is actually the lightest tent on the list, at 19 pounds 14 ounces, or 9.02 kilograms. Not a tent that you would want to carry very far in a backpack, but if you had to, it is the lightest of the three here. It comes with a total of 104 square feet of floor space in a convenient rectangular shape, for easy layout of sleeping bags. It also comes with a divider to turn it in to two separate rooms, and each room has a door, so that people don't disturb each other too much at night. It's definitely a three season tent, not intended for winter use, but besides that it's a great choice for 8 people.
- Big Agnes Flying Diamond - This is more of a four season option from Big Agnes. It can be separated in to a smaller and larger section with a partition wall, so that you have sort of a tented back area, ideal for storing gear, for instance. But each section does have a door of it's own, so it would be feasible for people to sleep in either section. And with 112 square feet of floor space, there is definitely enough room for 8. But at 22 pounds 6 ounces, or 10.14 kilograms, this is also not a tent you would want to carry very far.
- The North Face Dome - The Dome is a true four season, 8 person tent. It has a total of 10 poles, and the bottom of the fly has reinforced snow and wind shields, so that the fly can actually be pitched by itself if you're keen to save on weight. And you may want to save on weight, because at 57 pounds 11 ounces, or 26.16 kilograms this is not a tent you want to be stuck carrying. Besides the optional floor this thing also has three huge doors, making it a viable option as a cooking tent or gathering area, and a versatile option for those spending long periods of time on a mountain. But with 128 square feet of floor space, you can easily sleep 8.