Generally, tents tend to get disproportionally heavy after about the 4 man mark. So if you are looking for a larger 5 man tent to save weight, you might be better off with a 2 man tent and a 3 man tent, or some other combination of tents. But if you’re just looking to fit everyone under one roof, then a 5 man tent is an ideal way to go. But with such a large tent, there are definitely a few unique things that you need to be on the lookout for.
5 Man TentWhat to look for when buying a 5 man tent.
- Weight – As alluded to above, the weight of a 5 man tent is going to be fairly high. So if you are planning on carrying your 5 man tent for any significant amount of time, you will want to look carefully at the weight of various 5 man tents, and try and find one that is relatively lightweight, so that you don’t end up carrying too much weight.
- Doors and Separators – 5 people sleeping in close proximity can lead to a lot of interrupted sleep. For that reason, it’s helpful to have a separator that will split the tent up in to two halves, to count down on noise. Similarly, it’s helpful to have 2 doors, so that people don’t have to crawl all over each other to reach the single door.
Best 5 Man TentSome of your best choices for a 5 man tent.
- Marmot Limestone - Though technically a 4 man tent, the Limetone has enough floor space, at 60 square feet, for 5 people to squeeze in. And at 10 pounds 15 ounces, or 4.96 kilograms it's a relatively lightweight option that would suit a lot of backpackers and campers doing something more than car camping. There's just one door, unfortunately, but still a good option for a 5 man tent that is on the lightweight side.
- MSR Backcountry Barn - The Backcountry Barn is designed just like it's named, in the shape of a barn. With a 1.9 meter ceiling and a removable floor, plus a big huge front door, the Backcountry Barn will work as a tent or as a meeting place, somewhere to eat or just about anything else. It's a single wall design, but not all that lightweight, at 14 pounds 11 ounces, or 6.65 kilograms.
- The North Face Dome - The Dome is a true four season tent from The North Face. It's a big geodesic dome, with an impressive 10 poles to provide plenty of strength. There's also 2 doors, and a big huge vestibule for storing gear. It's a single wall design, but at 31 pounds 7 ounces, or 14.25 kilograms it's best used as a base camp tent.