You can go camping or backpacking with any number of people, but 4 is a good group number. It’s enough people that you are having fun with friends, but not so many that you are overwhelmed by the logistics of too many people. There are, for example, plenty of 4 person tents to choose from, and you wont have any trouble finding the perfect 4 person tent for you. So many choices, however, necessitates that you first figure out what you want from your tent.
4 Person TentsWhat to look for when you're reviewing 4 person tents.
- Weight – A 4 person tent is going to have on the heavy side, so you will likely want to pay close attention to the weight of your 4 person tent, especially if you’re unlucky enough to be the person who gets to carry it. There are certain features, like a single wall design for example, that will lower a tent’s weight quite a bit.
- Floor Space – Not all 4 person tents are created equal. You might find one tent cramped with all four of you in it, while another feels quite roomy. So if you want to know just how big your tent is going to be, it’s a good idea to compare the floor sizes of tents, so you know what to expect from your tent.
Best 4 Person TentsSome of the very best 4 person tents for your next outdoor camping trip.
- REI Camp Dome 4 Tent - If you just want something simple that will be ideal for a bit of recreational camping, and wont cost too much, then the Camp Dome from REI's in house brand is the perfect tent. It's a basic dome tent, with 2 doors for everyone inside to have easy access to the outside, though just awnings, and no vestibules. It's not the lightest tent ever, at 9 pounds 7 ounces, or 4.28 kilograms, but it makes up for that with the price, which is far lower than either of the other tents listed below. So a basic 4 person tent with a very attractive price.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 4 - The Fly Creek tent is what you want if you're not concerned about the price, and are much more concerned about the weight. At just 4 pounds 1 ounce, or 1.84 kilograms it is considerably lighter than the REI tent above, but then the materials and design used to achieve that impressive weight do add quite a bit to the price. It's also a little cramped, with just 49.5 square feet of floor space, but then a roomy tent would weigh more. So a good 4 person tent for backpackers and others who have to carry their gear.
- Black Diamond Bombshelter Tent - The Bombshelter is a tent designed for 4 season use. More than anything, it is strong enough and durable enough to stand up to wind, snow and whatever else you might come up against while camping or backpacking in the winter. It's a single wall design, since you're not likely to be using your tent without a rain fly in the winter, and has 2 doors, and 2 vestibules as well. It has 4 poles, for the most strength possible, and the wall material is breathable, so that you don't get too much condensation building up inside. At 8 pounds 13 ounces, or 4 kilograms it's not terribly lightweight, but then with four season tents the focus is always on making a tent that is strong enough to survive.