When it comes to putting together a group for camping or backpacking, 3 is a good number. And if you have a 3 person tent, you can cut down on the weight that would come from having to haul around multiple tents. But not every 3 person tent is created equal, and before you buy it will help to do a little research and figure out where your priorities lay, and what you need to be looking for when shopping for your next 3 person tent.
3 Person TentWhat to look at when you're looking at a 3 person tent.
- Floor Space - Not every 3 person tent is created equal. Two tents may each say they can fit three people inside, but may feel a bit more cramped when you actually get inside them. It's much better to compare floor space, so that you have a good idea of exactly how large your 3 person tent is going to be.
- Weight - As alluded to above, a 3 person tent is a good way to save on weight. But even so, there are vast differences in the weights of various 3 person tents, and one tent will weigh quite a bit more than another. Some of this comes down to four season tents versus three season tents, but it will pay to take a close look at the weight of any potential tent.
Best 3 Person TentSome of the best options for a 3 person tent.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 - If you need a straight 3 man dome tent, the Fly Creek is an excellent choice. At 3.18 pounds, which is 1.45 kilograms it's definitely one of the lighter 3 person tents on the market, and a solid choice if you want to save on weight. In fact, the 2 person version of this tent won the 2010 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award, in part because of it's excellent, lightweight design. It also gives you 39 square feet of floor space to work with, which isn't spacious, but is certainly enough for 3 people.
- The North Face Rock 32 Bx - The Rock 32 is a good choice if all you want to do is some recreational camping. It has a low price, and a fairly basic dome tent design. At 5 pounds 13 ounces, which is 2.63 kilograms it's not going to win any awards for low weight, but with 43.3 square feet of internal space, plus the low price, it's an excellent choice for casual campers.
- TarpTent Rainshadow 2 - The Rainshadow is an excellent combination of low price and lightweight design. At 42 ounces, or 1.2 kilograms it's the lightest 3 person tent on this list. And with 42 square feet of floor space, it's also one of the roomier tent 3 person tents out there. What makes it such a lightweight option is that it's actually a single wall design, though it does have plenty of ventilation to avoid a build up of condensation. It also gives you the option to use trekking poles instead of tent poles, though you can also purchase optional tent poles. Best of all, the price is very reasonable. So a good all around combination of value and features.