There are many different sizes of tent that you could choose from, but a 2 person tent is a good choice. Not that many people end up going solo backpacking or camping, after all, and while it can be useful to have a solo tent, just in case you’re the odd one out when it comes to putting together enough tents for a group, a 2 person tent is ideal because it fits 2 people just as well as it fits one. So you can go with two, but if you do need a 1 person tent, your 2 person tent will be ideal, if a bit roomy and slightly heavier than it really needs to be.
2 Person TentWhat to look for when shopping for a 2 person tent.
- Floor Size – Pay attention to the square feet of the floor size of different 2 person tents, because what one manufacturer deems to be enough room for 2 people is not necessarily what another manufacturer would call enough room for 2 people. And of course some people are bigger than other, necessitating the need for less, or more room inside.
- Lightweight – If you’re the person in the group that gets stuck carrying the tent, you had better hope it’s a lightweight tent. Even within 2 person tents there is a huge variety in the weights of various models, and your back and knees will thank you if you invest in a lightweight 2 person tent. Of course if you’re not the one who has to carry the tent it doesn’t matter quite so much.
Best 2 Person TentSome of the better 2 person tents currently found on the market.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent - When it comes to 2 person dome tents, it's hard to do better than the Fly Creek line from Big Agnes. It won the 2010 Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award, and is a favorite of backpackers and campers everywhere. First and foremost it is lightweight, at just 2 pounds 2 ounces, or 960 grams. And while it's not exactly huge at 28 square feet of floor space, it is definitely enough room for 2. If you want lightweight and freestanding, this is the ideal tent.
- Tarptent Squall 2 - If what you really want to do is save weight, the Squall 2 may be a better fit for you. It's a single wall tent from a fairly small tent manufacturer that caters more to the lightweight backpacking community. You can use trekking poles as the tent supports, though there are also poles available, if you don't use trekking poles. Since it's a single wall design it has plenty of ventilation, and at 30 square feet of floor space it's a good size for 2 people. What really stands out, however, is the weight, which is just 2 pounds 1.1 ounces, or 940 grams, which is slightly lighter than the Fly Creek. The price is also significantly less than the Fly Creek.
- Black Diamond I-Tent Standard - If you want a tent that you can use year round, you need a four season tent. It's lightweight for a four season tent, at 4 pounds 11 ounces, or 2.12 kilograms, which is due in part to the fact that it's a single wall design. It's also not particularly roomy, at 27.3 square feet of floor space, but then that's not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to four season tents. And because it's a single wall design it has plenty of ventilation options. If you want lightweight and capable of winter camping, this is a great choice.