If you’re the kind of person that doesn’t mind sharing a sleeping bag then a 2 person sleeping bag is an ideal solution. Importantly, you should know that a 2 person sleeping bag does not actually help save weight. Two lightweight sleeping bags will weigh less, in total, than one 2 person sleeping bag. So don’t get a 2 person sleeping bag if your goal is to save weight. Definitely do get a 2 person sleeping bag if your goal is to cuddle up and get close to another person. One advantage of a 2 person sleeping bag is that it may very well help save on space inside the tent, and you could likely get by with a large one man tent when using a 2 person sleeping bag.
2 Person Sleeping BagFeatures to look for when you are shopping for a 2 person sleeping bag.
- Tapered – Most 2 person sleeping bags come in a rectangular shape, but there are a few tapered 2 person sleeping bags out there, which are reminiscent of a mummy shaped one person sleeping bag. Tapered uses less material, which means those sleeping bags both weigh less and contain less dead space that needs to be heated with your body heat.
- Down vs Synthetic – Insulating material is the big choice you have to think about when it comes to a sleeping bag. Synthetic insulation performs well when you get it wet, but otherwise down is the winner, with a better warmth to weight ratio. If you’re ever going to have to pack your sleeping bag around, down is the better choice.
Best 2 Person Sleeping BagThere aren't a whole lot of 2 person sleeping bags out there, but these are some of the best.
- Big Agnes Solomon 15 - First up, a down sleeping bag made with 600+ fill down, which is on the lower end of the scale, when it comes to down quality. Still, most 2 person sleeping bags are synthetic, so this is a step up that helps to save on weight. Down also compresses a lot better, so this is a sleeping bag that would fit well in a backpack. Beyond that it has a separate zipper for each sleeper and a slight taper, though not much. It has a temperature rating of 15 degrees and weighs 5 pounds 3 ounces, or 2.35 kilograms, making it the lightest 2 person sleeping bag on this list.
- The North Face Twin Peaks 20 - Another 2 person sleeping bag, this one with synthetic insulation rather than down. The synthetic insulation adds weight, but this bag also has a definite taper, which helps to save on weight, the whole thing coming out at 5 pounds 13 ounces, or 2.64 kilograms, which is, you'll notice, heavier than the warmer Solomon 15 above, as this sleeping bag is only good down to 20 degrees. Still, another viable, and definitely cheaper, choice.
- Big Agnes Dream Island - Another synthetic sleeping bag, this one good down to 15 degrees, like the Solomon. Unlike the Solomon, this weighs a big 9 pounds 5 ounces, or 4.22 kilograms, which is close to double the weight of the Solomon. But, it's also about half the price of the Solomon, so you can see where the price difference is. A good choice for car camping, but not much else.
Saving WeightA 2 person sleeping bag is a great way to snuggle up at night, but they're not a good way to save on weight, despite what you might think. This isn't so much that the idea isn't a good one, it's just that there aren't many 2 person sleeping bags out there, and the few that are being made are not being made with serious campers or backpackers in mind. So a great way to snuggle, but if you're looking for a lightweight option, this isn't it.
Find even more sleeping bags to review over at the compare sleeping bags page.