If you could only own one tent, a 2 man tent would be a good choice. It's rare that anyone goes camping or backpacking by themselves, in which case a 2 man tent can cut down on weight. But at the same time, if you do ever end up going backpacking or camping by yourself, a 2 man tent is just a roomy version of a 1 man tent, and perfectly suited to traveling alone with. But as with any tent, there are a few thing to keep in mind when shopping for 2 man tents.
2 Man TentWhat to look for when reviewing 2 man tents.
- Lightweight - When you're camping or backpacking you have to carry everything, including the tent, and if you are carrying your tent, it might as well be a lightweight tent. The main advantage of a 2 man tent over two 1 man tents is the weight savings, so you might as well maximize those weight savings by getting a lightweight 2 man tent.
- Floor Space - With two people sharing a tent, your main concern is always going to be floor space. You don't want to have excessive amounts of floor space, but neither do you want too little floor space, unless you're really fond of the person you're sharing a tent with.
Best 2 Man TentsThe very best 2 man tents on the market.
- Terra Nova Laser Photon 2 Tent - This 2 man tent from UK manufacturer Terra Nova is the lightest 2 man tent on the list, at 1 pound 15 ounces, or 935 grams. It is also the smallest on the list, with 26 square feet of floor space. So if you want lightweight and don't mind getting cozy, it's an ideal choice. Terra Nova even designed their own, special 1 gram tent pegs to go with their tents, so you know they're a company focused on saving you weight.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent - The Fly Creek UL2 won the Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice award in 2010, in part because it has such an impressive weight. At 2 pounds 2 ounces, or 960 grams it's not quite as light as the Laser Photon, but it beats out just about every other 2 man tent on the market. It also gives you 28 square feet of floor space, as opposed to the 26 of the Laser Photon, so slightly more roomy. One thing to note is that the door is at the head of the tent, rather than the side like the other two tents on this list, so you don't have to crawl over anyone to enter and exit the tent.
- MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent - One more very lightweight 2 man tent, this time from MSR. The Carbon Reflex weighs 2 pounds 13 ounces, or 1275 grams, so not quite as light as the other two, but lighter than the majority of 2 man tents. It also has 40 square feet of floor space, so slightly roomier than the other two. One notable feature is carbon fiber poles, which is a lightweight material that is still quite strong.