To see all the rest of the best backpacking tents that didn't make it on to this page, check out the lightweight tents list.
Best Backpacking TentsThe best backpacking tent is going to be a lot different than the best camping tent, for instance, because when you are backpacking you have to carry your tent, often for quite a ways, and so the best backpacking tent is often going to be the lightest backpacking tent.
The best backpacking tents also tend to have a few common features.
Common Features of the Best Backpacking Tents
- Trekking Pole Supports - Though not all of the best backpacking tents are able to accommodate trekking poles as support poles, it is a feature that will certainly help save on weight, which is almost always greatly appreciated.
- Single Wall Design - Another feature common to many of the best backpacking tents is a single wall design. Again, a single wall design helps cut down on extra weight, which is always the enemy of backpackers.
- Small Profile - Besides sleeping, there isn't a lot to be done in a tent, and that includes sitting around. The best backpacking tents are often the ones that cut down on extra space, which in turn cuts down on extra weight.
Best Backpacking Tents - 1 PersonHere are a few of the best backpacking tents to consider.
- Tarp Tent Contrail - Tarp Tent makes a wide variety of excellent backpacking tents and even four season tents, though the Contrail is definitely one of their best backpacking tents. It has all the features listed above, and is roomy enough for one, or two in a pinch. Tarp Tent is a favorite manufacturer of the lightweight backpacking community, and with good reason. I personally own the Contrail, and cant say enough good things about it. The weight is 1.53 pounds, or 696 grams.
- Terra Nova Laser Photon 1 - UK manufacturer Terra Nova isn't well known to a lot of North Americans, but they make some really excellent, lightweight tents. The Laser Photon, in particular, weighs just 1.47 pounds, or 670 grams, and even comes with its own, specially developed lightweight tent pegs, which is real dedication to the lightweight backpacking philosophy.
- Big Agnes Fly Creek UL - The Fly Creek from Big Agnes is a no nonsense lightweight tent, and one of the best backpacking tents from the big name tent manufacturers. It weighs just 1.87 pounds, or 850 grams, which is more than respectable for the mainstream market. It also gets a lot of great reviews, so definitely worth checking out.
Best Backpacking Tents - 2+ Persons
- Big Agnes Fly Creek Line - Similar to the above, Big Agnes makes a whole line of the Fly Creek ULs. There is a two man version, which amazingly enough weighs only about 100 grams more than the 1 person version. There is also a three man and four man version to choose from. They're all very lightweight tents with conventional designs.
- Tarp Tent - Tarp Tent makes a wide range of excellent backpacking tents, many of which belong in the best backpacking tents category. One of their bigger tents that stands out is the Rainshadow 2, which has a design similar to that of the Contrail but sleeps 3. It weighs 42 ounces, or 1.2 kilograms, and is a great choice if you are looking for a backpacking tent for a larger group.