When it comes to gaiters, there are few materials better than Gore Tex. The most common use of gaiters, after all, is to keep moisture from getting down the tops of your boots in to the interior, where it makes your feet uncomfortable. Gore Tex does this well, and it lets your feet breathe too, which is always a bonus. Gore Tex gaiters are also amply suited to keep debris out of the tops of your boots, another thing that gaiters are often used for. Gore Tex wont hold up so well against snakes, one more thing that gaiters are used for, but then that’s probably not what you’re going to be using them for anyway.
Gore Tex GaitersWhat to look for when you're looking for Gore Tex gaiters.
- Height – Gaiter come in a wide variety of heights ranging from the ankles all the way up to the upper calf. And while there is nothing wrong with an ankle gaiter, the aim of Gore Tex gaiters is likely to keep water out, in which case a higher pair of gaiters, that reach up to somewhere on the calf, will be the best way of keeping your feet dry.
- Replaceable Strap – One of the areas that gets warn out fast on gaiters is the strap that goes underneath the boot. This strap is replaceable on most gaiters, and is also usually quite durable, but even so, it pays to make sure that the strap is replaceable, because if and when it wears out, you don’t want to have to buy a whole new pair of gaiters.
Best Gore Tex GaitersThere aren't many Gore Tex gaiters out there, but these are the best of them.
- Black Diamond GTX FrontPoint Gaiters - These are a slightly shorter pair of Gore Tex Gaiters, reaching up to just the mid calf. The upper portion is Gore Tex lined nylon, while the bottom is ballistic nylon, to minimize the chance of tears and rips from abrasions. The tops also have a drawcord, so that it's easy to get a good seal around your leg. They're unisex, and weigh 8.9 ounces, or 252 grams.
- Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters - These are likely the most popular gaiters of any material on the market. The tops are a very durable Gore Tex, while the bottoms are 1000d cordura, to ensure that they remain durable despite the occasional abrasion. They go all the way up to the upper calf, and use a buckle system to get a good seal against your leg. These are the mens, there's also a women's version, and these weigh 10.2 ounces, or 289 grams.
- Black Diamond Apex Gaiters - Another pair of upper calf length gaiters, this time from Black Diamond. These have tough Gore Tex uppers and even tougher bottoms to ensure that they aren't damaged by a few bumps and scrapes. Like the Crocodiles, these also use a buckle and strap to ensure a good fit around the top of your calf. They weigh 8.1 ounces, which is 229 grams.