The challenge is finding something that they don't already have. If they recently broke something, or have been complaining about missing something, then that makes it easy, but i've included a few items below that most hikers don't have, but cant do without when they do get their hands on them.
Whatever you end up getting, however, hikers always love a new piece of gear, and you cant go wrong with a hiking themed christmas gift.
Christmas Gifts for Hikers ListA suggested christmas gifts for hikers.
- Helle GT Knife - Most hikers tend not to bring along a knife when they go hiking, but they should. Aside from the personal protection a knife offers, they tend to come in handy in a wide variety of situations, from cutting rope around camp to opening a stubborn food package. This knife from Helle is a classic design and made from high quality steel, and a great christmas gift for hikers.
- Mont Bell U.L. Down Inner Jacket (Women's) - Hiking in the colder months of the year can make for a chilly experience. A down parka, however, will keep you warm far better than many other materials, and is a lot lighter too. These parkas from Mont Bell are high quality and made with 800 fill goose down, which is the good stuff. They would make great christmas gifts for hikers on your list.
- Snow Peak Titanium Multi Compact Cookset - If you want to whip up a gourmet meal while out hiking, there's nothing better to bring along to do the cooking in than a titanium cookware set. These make great christmas gifts for hikers because most hikers are making do with steel or aluminum cookware, which is much heavier than titanium. If there is one thing that hikers love, it is an upgrade to something lighter.
- Joby Gorillapod - A lot of hikers like to bring their camera with them when they head in to the outdoors, but one difficult thing about the outdoors is that there is never anything level to set the camera down on for a group shot. The Gorillapod solves that problem with legs that can be manipulated to always be level.
- SteriPEN Adventurer - Access to clean water is always important when out for a hike, and if you need to refill, you will need some method of cleaning the water. The popular method is a water filter, but filters have too many moving parts and take a lot of effort to work and keep clean. But a UV filter, like the Adventurer, will have your water drinkable in just a few seconds with minimal fuss, which makes it a great christmas gift for hikers.
- Exped DownMat Sleeping Pad - For the hiker who likes to turn a day trip in to an overnight excursion, a sleeping pad is an important piece of gear. For the colder months, however, the summer sleeping pads that most hikers have will be inadequate, and a warmer option is needed. The DownMat from Exped makes a great christmas gift for hikers because it comes with a layer of down built in, to trap trap body heat and reflect it, making sleeping overnight in cold conditions a warm and toasty experience.