Down jackets come in all different shapes and sizes, but a thin down jacket definitely has its uses. The thinner a down jacket is, of course, the colder it will be. So if you don’t need to stay extremely warm a thin down jacket is a good idea. But thinner down jackets will also weigh less, which is a definite plus for backpackers, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts. A thin down jacket will also be more compact and compressible, another feature that backpacker, hikers and the like will appreciate.
Thin Down JacketWhat to look for form a thin down jacket.
- Down Quality – If you’re going to get a thin down jacket it will help to get a down jacket filled with high quality down, like 900+ fill down, rather than lower quality down, like 700+ fill down. The higher quality stuff will compress down better and weigh less, while providing the same amount of warmth.
- Water Resistant – Regardless of how thick or thin your down jacket is, it’s a good idea to get one that is water resistant on the outside. That way, the down inside stays dry, and does <!--more-->not clump, because down that is clumped will not keep you very warm, at least not until you dry it out.
Best Thin Down JacketSome of the very best thin down jackets for both men and women.
- Mont Bell EX Light Down Jacket (Women's) - The EX Light is one of, if not the best thin down jacket around, for the simple reason that it uses very high quality 900+ fill down, so that it's thin, lightweight and also warm. In fact The EX Light doesn't have a hood or even hand pockets, which is all to decrease the weight as much as possible. And at 5.7 ounces, or 161 grams, you're unlikely to find a lighter down jacket. It's also water resistant.
- Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket (Women's) - The Microlight is another fairly thin down jacket, meant for staying active in the outdoors and layering when things get really cold. It uses 750+ fill down, which isn't the highest quality, but does help to keep the price down. It also comes with a hood, a water resistant exterior and a couple of hand warmer pockets, plus one chest pocket, so that you have plenty of options for keeping those extremities warm in cold temperatures. So an excellent down jacket for staying warm while staying active. It weighs 12.3 ounces, or 350 grams.
- Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoodie Jacket (Women's) - This offering from Patagonia is fairly similar to the Rab down jacket above. It comes with a hood, plus a couple of hand warmer pockets and one zippered pocket on your chest for storing a few essentials. It uses 800+ fill down, and a water resistant exterior to keep you and the down inside dry. Overall it has a low profile and a close fit, to keep you as warm as possible. The whole thing weighs 9 ounces, or 255 grams.